Thursday, June 14, 2007

Adventures in Raw

First, I am not giving up my omnivorous ways. I am not giving up cheese, or steak tartare, or foie, or chocolate. Or bread. Or anything else.

But sometimes I get bored. Being a foodie is hard work. Once you have eaten llama and crocodile and made your own pasta, and cheese, and whatnot. And traveled to a few different cities to eat butter poached lobster and bison in granola and eaten nearly everywhere at home, what is there left to do?

Well. You apologize for having such an indulgent life and you start reading about raw foods.

Now. The whole enzyme living foods yada yada thing, I can’t say I buy into that. But the whole eating raw, fresh, natural unprocessed food thing, that doesn’t seem like a bad idea. And no matter how many fruits and vegetables I try to eat, I never eat enough fruits and vegetables. (Plate of bread and cheese versus plate of broccoli. No contest I’m afraid.)

So I’ve been reading all sorts of crazy things about nuts and seeds and greens. I was inspired by this recipe for a Fuzzy Navel Smoothie which is oranges, pecans, dates and vanilla. It is simply delicious. And with the fiber from the whole orange and nuts and dates is ridiculously filling (which is good when you are trying to lose weight – like I am.) I also found that you don’t need a $400 blender to do this, in fact you don’t even need a $60 blender to do this, you can use your $20 200 watt stick blender to do this.

But, duh, fruit and nuts blended together taste good, and even if they are filling, they aren’t exactly low calorie. What I need is vegetables. So. I tried a green smoothie from GoneRaw (which seems to be down at the moment.) Strawberries, apple juice, a date, and a bag of baby spinach. Yup. A bag of baby spinach. Blended all up, it’s the most fabulous shade of green, and tastes like a strawberry spinach salad. It tastes good.

The green spinach smoothie tastes good.

Really. I drank it for breakfast.

Feel free to be as shocked about this as I am.

And eat your vegetables.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home