Saturday, May 12, 2007

My. God. Time. Flies.

Ok. I’m gonna scan over my calendar from the past few months and jump back in the pool here:

At the end of February there was a Happy Hour at Dino with NJ et al. Cheesy polenta with pork belly. Be still my heart (literally and figuratively.) In search of ever more food we headed over to Palena afterward for dinner. I had the burger. This was the first time I ever ordered a hamburger in a restaurant. Really. I didn’t eat red meat for a really long time and was never that interested in hamburgers when I did. But it was supposed to be the best burger in DC, so what the hell. And now? Now I am ruined and will never be able to eat another hamburger unless I am at Palena. It was eyes-roll-back-into-your-head good. Oh, and the fry plate on the side, with batter dipped slices of meyer lemon? Falls into the category of “things you thought you’d never eat and now crave.”

JH and I had brunch at Colorado Kitchen. I have been wanting to try Colorado Kitchen for a long time as I need a good brunch place and it’s in the middle of nowhere, but not too far from Takoma Park. But I also have been leery of Colorado Kitchen because they have a bit of a “reputation” of having a bit of an “attitude.” But we followed the rules and showed up 10 minutes before they opened and got seated without a wait. And we started with the doughnuts. Homemade doughnuts. Warm homemade doughnuts. A chocolate glazed, a powdered sugared, and a honey and nut (!!) I would happily follow any and all rules to get more of those doughnuts. JH had the eggs benedict and I had the orange french toast and we shared a side of grits. Everything was delicious and I really need to go back for dinner.

In March there was a DR book club meeting at the Pizzeria Paradiso in Georgetown (I like the Quattro Formaggio)(Good pizza. Awful book.) ANOTHER dinner at Dino with NJ (they changed the mushroom pasta. I am not a happy camper) and a quick dinner at Moby Dick (yummy cheap kabobs) with a different JH. There was an unremarkable brunch at the Corcoran with BM, but the Modernism show was fabulous. The different JH and I also had an excellent (and large) dinner at Ray’s The Classics (If you want meat, go here. Yes, the service is weird. Remember I told you that as the service will be weird. But the food is good) as well as dinner at Black’s Bar and Kitchen (remember what I said about being ruined by Palena’s burger? Yeah.) I took my dad to Oriental East for his first Dim Sum when he was in town for the Smithsonian Kite Festival, both of which he seemed to enjoy. BM and I had sushi from Whole Foods whilst sitting on the Mall at 9pm. The sushi was simply awful, but the Mall is lovely at that time of night.

In April my mom and I went on an eating trip to Chicago. I will work up a post on Chicago, as it deserves its own post.

RL and I had surprisingly WONDERFUL thin crust smoky pizza at Comet Ping Pong, the original JH&E and I had Dim Sum (again) at Oriental East (again) and I had brunch with LP at Bourbon I need to keep this place in mind, if for no other reason than they will serve you $5 worth of tater tots in a metal bowl, just like you got in the cafeteria in elementary school.

And we are nearly up to speed! May brings Happy Hour with BM at the Leftbank (cheap and sushi are not usually two words you want to see together, but it was good.) AZ from Food and Friends had a few of us over for a lovely homemade dinner with delicious Mushroom Barley Soup, White Spinach Lasagna and homemade(!) Strawberry Rhubarb Pie (my favorite.) I got to see JI’s new house and we had an “edible” dinner at Rosemary’s Thyme Bistro And I finally finally got to the Bar at CityZen with PH where the food and drinks were almost as satisfying as the conversation, but just barely.

So. Um. What have you eaten lately?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home